Monday

Dry Fruit Baked Karanji

I have been following Sanjeev Kapoor the master chef of India.. and his recs are very trusting. Hardly ever they Flop and see the GB...so I trust his word and do try his rec.s with some alteration to suit what I have on hand. Similarly I came across Date and Anjeer(Figs) Baked karanji, so I tried my hand at these, next try with be with some Gulkand.

You will need;

for outer layer 
1 cup--Refined flour (maida)
2 tbspn-- Semolina (rawa/suji)
2 tbspn-- Ghee-Smoking hot
1/4th cup--Milk 

Either the above or store bought Pastry sheets..(I used the pastry sheets)

Stuffing
3/4 cup--Dates, chopped , seedless ,
3/4 cupf--Dried figs, chopped ,
15 - 20--Cashewnuts, crushed ,
15 - 20--Pistachios,
1 tspn-- crushed Green cardamom powder
1 tspn--Dry coconut Half cup, roasted ,
2 tblspn--Milk
Sugar as per need

--Take refined flour in a bowl. Add semolina, ghee and milk and knead into a semi soft dough. Divide into equal portions and shape them into pedas. Keep them covered with a damp cloth. Preheat oven to 350°F. To make the stuffing take dates and figs in a bowl. Add crushed cashewnuts, pistachios, green cardamom powder, roasted coconut and mix. Mash lightly with fingers and add a little milk. Roll out a dough peda. Place it in the karanji mould. Put a small portion of the prepared filling in the hollow. Apply a little water on edges, close the mould and press firmly. Remove the excess dough and use again. Similarly make the remaining karanjis. These can be made without the mould too. Place the karanjis on a greased baking tray and bake at 350°C for twenty to twenty five minutes. Cool, store in an airtight container.

 Please note that I had copied this rec from Sanjeev Kapoor' Website and this is his rec.. I am sharing it as I liked it as it is really easy and FAST .. and it can be done with no sugar if you like.

I am sending this rec to Anu's healthy Kitchen Diwali event.


Love Ash.

4 comments:

Manasi said...

WOW! I am very fond of karani, olya naralachi and this have to be my favs!
Good job.

Unknown said...

Thanks Manasi and Shanthi..

khushi said...

nice healthy recipe....you have a lovely space...glad to follow you
Event : What’s On Your Kebab Platter : win a gift : few days left
Event :My Diwali My Way

Unknown said...

Thanks Khushi. Will try to participate in your event. Thanks for your kind words.
Love Ash.