Wednesday

Indian Mava Cake

I am always searching for cake recipes. I had a Small religious function a few days back and had brought dry milk powder/mava powder on hand.. since I had only used half of the packet, I still had good enough amount left, this gave me a good excuse to try this recipe.


Mr. Ash has become a little skeptical with what goes in his tummy. BE warned that this cake is not for you if you are on a either self imposed diet or diet by restriction, it is a very very HEALTHY cake, ideal for people who want to PUT ON some weight or very active adults, I am very active in taking it easy and doing things at my pace, so I do qualify, you better have a very good excuse to justify the reasons and avoid all blame game later. If you are asked for any justifications, I will help you with all the arguments, if you promise to make this cake, just like I defended my position when questioned by Mr. Ash...He has been trying to get me to exercise and get fit, but watching people exercis eon TeeVee tires me out...its a genetic issue..sorry Mr. Ash, dont't really mean to disappoint you, believe me in my mind I do exercise, just that you never see my mind...

I did add saffron and pistachio's.. simply because I had to finish the nuts lying around in the freezer, but I have tried the cake without any and its tastes really good with out any dry mava(Nuts and Saffron).

 The story goes as, there was a little girl who visited a Persian bakery which sold the best Mava cakes in set of 4, which were really expensive to buy everyday on her way to the market, so the girl never missed any opportunity to go shopping with her mom and made her mom stop by the bakery just so she could get the treat, she would not let her mom hire  a rickshaw and walk the extra mile for the treats. Do you suggest, I should be telling my mom the reason for all that walking without any tantrums, maybe she already knows, after all she is my MOM....Please please, pretty please make these cakes and if you are like me watching the vast waist line, make it a cupcake or a mini loaf cake, but its my humble request, try at least once..

I am not pasting or writing the recipe but am linking you to the source of the recipe, hers are better than mine in pictures, but I am getting there at least am trying to..



http://sinfullyspicy.com/2011/03/07/indian-mava-minicakes/

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp green cardamom powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup mava, softened at room temperature
*( I Used half cup mava powder)
7 tbsp unsalted butter,softened
1 cup white granulated sugar
2 eggs
6 tbsp whole milk
**2 tsp saffron threads
**1/2 cup fine chopped unsalted pistachios for mixing in cake batter
**1/4 cup chopped unsalted pistachios for topping.

**--You need not use any of the above--to get a decent mava cake..
Method;
Cream butter, sugar and eggs  for 3 mins and sift dry ingredients.Then add the dry mixture to the wet mixture. In a pre-heated oven @ 350 degree, bake the cupcakes for about 12-15 mins. If baking in a round pan or any other pan, use your best judgment and bake till knife inserted comes out clean..This cake tastes better the next day, so CONTROLL and eat it on the second day!!

Take a Chill Pill and enjoy!!!

Love Ash.

2 comments:

Manasi said...

Aha! Lovely, reminds me of my childhood when these were a much beloved treat!
Thank u !

RS said...

Great recipe! Just loved the cake. Using mawa powder simplifies so many things. Don't care how many calories it has, as long it is a once-in-a-while indulgence, that is. Thanks for the recipe Ash. Pls keep them coming.