Monday

Chavli chi usal-Blackeyed bean usal- and an Award

Hello Dearies!!! I know I hear the groans, but relax, I am back again cooking after a small break posting only soaps, lotions and sundry. I am posting a very down to earth and humble bean dish. This is so versatile, pairs well with steamed rice, roti or even bread. Peeps in Ashland like to have this as is with some chopped onions, lemon juice and shev. This is  a very maharshtrian preparation sans the coconut and kadhi putta. A truly hearty subji which you can have as a soup also. I love dunking my bread in this on a rainy day!!! Making usal is my Go-o thing on busy dinner nights. I make usal all the time, as I usually have some or the other kind of sprouts ready to go. The base of the curry can be kept the same and variety of beans like White peas, green peas, lentils, black kidney beans or black beans can be used.

You will need; 
1 cup dried Chavali/Blackeyed peas - soaked in hot water for 5-6 hours and boiled with 2 cups water in a pressure cooker for 2-3 whistles. Alternatively used canned. Just wash and drain the beans from the can.
1 onion diced small
1 tomato diced small
1 inch ginger grated
3 cloves garlic mashed
1 tspn Usal Masala- Substitute with 1/2 tspn Garam masala + 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper 
1 tspn Goda Masala- Black Garam Masala commonly used in Marathi speaking homes.-Optional
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt to taste

Tempering
2 tbspn oil
1 tsppn Jeera/cumin seeds
1 tsp rai/mustard seeds
pinch of hing/asafodita
1tsp turmeric/haldi

Heat a wok on medium heat and add oil, add the tempering ingredients, rai/mustard seeds and jeera/cumin seeds, let it sizzle and then add the onions, tomatoes, ginger and garlic, then add the turmeric/haldi and hing and fry till the onion and tomatoes get cooked and oil starts separating from the sides. Then add the boiled peas with the water in which it was cooked.Then add the usal masala, salt and lemon juice and cover and cook for 5-7 mins. The usal is ready.
** The Usal masala I have is very spicy, so adjust the heat levels as per your liking. Generally it is wiser to start with less amounts and increase to you liking.

It''s Award time again. Shailaja also shared this award with me. thank You Shailaja for keeping me in mind and sharing this award.



Rules for receiving award:
1)  Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
2)  Answer the questions, the tagger has set for you.
3)  Choose 11 people and link them in your post.
4)  Create 11 questions for the people you’ve tagged to answer.
5)  Go to their page and tell them.
6)  Remember, no tag back.


Rule 1: Post 11 things about yourself
1. I like gardening, OK I try very year, but this year my garden has been kind on my soul.
2. I like to create with hands, make soap and lotion. The whole process calms me.
3. Spend time with my munchkins.
4. read blogs/ pintrest like bible or text books.
5. I am a good friend
6. I am MAD- Recently people around me have been saying this a lot of times.
7. I am die hard foodie
8. I like to admire people on loop roller coasters, but never dare ride one.
9.  I heart people who are organized, wish I could be more like them.
10. I  an a blogger 24/7
11. I am a MOM 24/7
 
1) Who was the inspiration behind your blog?
Pallavi of a Cook @Heart and Manali of Cravings mainly planted the seed of blogging. Also want to specially Thank Aparna of Square Meals who comments regularly and also shared all of her awards with me.

2) What you will do when you are free?
Will.. I already am making my soap and lotion in my free time.

3) What kind of movies do you enjoy?
Family and comedy based movies, no rona dhona for me.
4) What kind of people you like?
Frank and honest
5) What kind of food you like?
Spicy then sweet then again spicy. U get the picture. I like Food.

6) Most memorable moment.
Many. Cannot name one. Each moment taught me memorable things.

7) Who is the best teacher in your school?
My Tuition teacher Mrs. Nalavade.

8) Who is the role model in your life?
Have many women as role models.
9) What is your favorite movie?
I like to watch Jaane bhi do yarroon again and again!!!

10) Name one book you had to read but hated?  
School text Books
11) What is your favorite album?
have different choice of music depending on the day and occasions.


Rule 2: Answer the question
Who inspire you for creating such a wonderful food blog and what you think about Shailaja's blog? Any suggestions for her?   

 Inspiration behind the blog is mainly my readers and blogger friends who without knowing me, offer me free advice, suggestions and they are trying constantly to improve my space. Some hinted and pushed me to start exploring my writing skills, which I eventually am enjoying. They take pains to read each and every word I write, which is huge for me.

Suggestions for you, I am still new to be giving any suggestions, just do what you like to do and keep doing/blogging without a care in the world. Followers and fame is not the essence of blogging, but doing what you enjoy is.


Rule 3: Choose 11 people and link them in your post
I would like to Share this award with;
1  Manasi of Cook@heart
2. Manali of Cravings
3. Smitha of smithasspicyflavors
4. Ms. Chitchat  of chitchatcrossroads
5. Amarendra of Amu's Recipes
6.Neelam of Kane's Coop
7. Balvinder of Gluten Free Food
8. Shirley Of Shirley's Luxury Haven
9. Jagruti of JCO
10. Aparna of Square Meals
11. Kavi of Foodmania


Rule 4: Create 11 questions for the people you've tagged to answer
1) Reason behind your blogging?
2) What do you do when you are free?
3) What kind of movies do you enjoy?
4) What kind of people you like?
5) What kind of food you like?
6) Why do you follow a blog?
7) What motivates you to comment on certain blog posts?
8) Who is the role model in your life?
9) What is your favorite blog post and why?
10)What blog post you thought would receive most comments and were you disappointed when It did not?
11) What is your take on being inspired? like Plagiarism in covers?





Photobucket

13 comments:

Balvinder said...

Hi Ash, I am not very good in sharing awards but really appreciate receiving it and heartily accept it. Thank you so much. My email ID is written on my blog, when you click on "About me"

Your chavali dish, we call it raungi is mine and my husband's favorite. have a good day!

Sahasra Recipes said...

Yummy bean recipe. Congrats...:)

Vimitha Durai said...

Yummy n healthy recipe

Manasi said...

Thanks for the award, Ash!

I am a recently converted fan of chawli, as a child, I disliked it, maybe because of the same way it was prepared. Blogging changed all that, I like it a lot now, with all kinds of variations :)
I have K-Pra usal-misal masala, do u use that?

Amarendra said...

Hey Ash, Thank you so much for considering me for the award. Due to some or the other engagements, I could not post my earlier awards. But this time I am definitely going to post this. Please accept my sincere apologies for not posting the previous award.

Amarendra said...

And I loved the new look of your blog. And what to say about Chavli chi Usal. Ti tar maazi all time favourite aahe. Yumm

Priya Suresh said...

Nutritious and irresistible usal,just loving it.

COngrats on ur award Ash.

runnergirlinthekitchen.blogspot.com said...

Love the new look, and I love chavli chi usal one of my all time favourites

Mina Joshi said...

Love Black eyed beans.

Square Meals said...

Thank you so much Ash, you made my day :-)

Aparna

Spice up the Curry said...

Looks very very delicious.. really healthy dish.. you have nice collections .

Amarendra said...

Hey Ash, Thanks for the award.. I have accepted it.

Unknown said...

Lovely…
keralaflowerplaza.com