Thursday

Palak Banana Paratha- Spinach Banana Flatbread

 

 Hello Sweetpeas!!! How was your first day of school!!! Yes, Summer is OVER and now back to the routine, school, lunches and homework. Yeah!! Happy days for Moms. Most moms will not admit but secretly agree that they cannot wait for school to start. How to keep the kids busy and occupied in summer vacation is a regular challenge we all face. Start of the school also means, what to pack for lunch everyday for 5 days. Kids want variety and moms want nutritious meals, achieving anything closer to both is a nightmare. I admire all moms who plan their kids lunch menu's and shop accordingly. They are able to hit the bulls eye and the kids actually bring home empty lunch boxes.
I try and give kids a different meal everyday so that they do not get bored. Busy mornings or daddy traveling calls for a quick cheese or egg sandwich. I am not a supermom who can make hot lunch and get both kids and myself dressed and breakfast fed before 8.30 AM. Such mornings call for sandwich lunch for all the 3 of us. PB & J is not popular with folks in Ashland so is Nutella. (And you thought I had it all easy.) Anywho, Today's lunch was tried and tested before just coz of I added a ripe banana to the spinach. Yes, you heard it right, I added a ripe banana to the spinach and flour and rolled the parathas. The hint of banana tastes amazing. I had seen this in some cookery show while browsing through you tube. It was on some Marathi TV channel. Luck by chance I had 2 very ripe bananas mushed by my munchkin while they were not so ripe. He simply likes to hold the banana specially so when we are driving on a road trip. He at times dozes off with the banana in hand. We get the mushed banana only when we reach home peel intact but mushed in places where he held them. I cannot throw food away. It just is in my upbringing that food is not to be wasted. so I conspire new ways of using up such food that is not quite edible in its form. We went camping and on our return I gave each kid a banana to eat, to kind of cut the I am hungry, I am bored song. Munchkin never ate his and so did donut. Since they are brothers some traits are very similar in them and I had not one but 2 mushed bananas from that trip. I tried this recipe once before and it turned  a success, so it has made to our school lunch menu. I am happy to who ever thought of this recipe and it is very tasty and soft and these parathas stay well at room temperature.


To make the Parathas;

2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup palak chopped
1 Very ripe Banana
Salt to taste ( I used Sindhav Salt known for its medicinal uses. )
1 tsp Red chili/cayenne powder
1 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp Garam masala
2 tbspn oil to knead the dough
 
Water as needed to make the dough soft. The banana will bind the dough so this will require little water. use your judgement. The water should only be used at last and only if needed.



In a wide bowl, take the chopped palak, mushed banana  and the dry powders and add salt, add oil and mix well, now start adding the flour and start mixing in the flour. Add teaspoon by tea spoon water till you have a soft pliable dough. Do not add water initially, as the banana  will help in binding the flour. Once  the dough is soft enough, cover  and let rest for 15-20 mins.

After the dough is rested, roll out the parathas like you would make roti's( make small balls  of the dough and roll out thin rounds tortillas dusting flour if the tortillas stick to the surface). Heat a griddle or tawa on medium heat and cook the partahas on one side. Flip the parathas and spray oil and cook the other side. Repeat on side one and cook both sides. Serve hot with some ketchup. or green chutney or any curry of your choice.
 
 
 
 

10 comments:

Manasi said...

Banana in a paratha,a savory one at that!!! Who'd have thunk???
Very innovative Ash! was this on a khavaiyye program?
I bet the banana keeps the paratha soft.

And on to the Mom-and-kids-school thing, I am glad school has started!
And yes, keeping lunch box options to quickies is a good idea, specially since u all ahve to reach ur respective destinations!

Gouri Dighade said...

will definitely try it, thanks for one more healthy option for the tiffin. One question, doesn't banana give sweet taste to the paratha?

Balvinder said...

Lunch was a stress when my daughter 10 0r 11 not anymore. With time she learnt how much better the home made lunches are.
Banana in paratha, why not? when we can add it in bread. Pat me on my back I am that mother(not supermom) who makes breakfast every morning and packs lunch and find time to write two or three comments in the morning.

Sahasra Recipes said...

Different combo & yummy paratha.

Priya Suresh said...

Very unique and definitely a healthy paratha.

Square Meals said...

Super interesting combo, Ash. But won't the banana make the paratha sweet?

Aparna

Amarendra said...

I'm a huge fan of Theplas and adding Banana gives a good flavour. I am adding this to my week-end menu now.

Anjali Bapna Shukla said...

I actually had to re-look for the name after I read it was banana for a paratha! This is called complete creation. :)

Do submit some of your chocolaty entries for the event:
Ongoing Event: Cooking Made Easy With Chocolates/Cocoa

Blackswan said...

Hey dear, I've noticed that u always come up with very interesting combination of ingredients. Would love to try your cooking some day :)

gouridighade said...

Ash, finally dared to try it yest. frankly speaking I never thought my hubby would like it since he is not into sweets, and then when I had ripe banana, didnt have palak and vice-versa. Sunday I had both and also got a warning from hubby that we shd finish those bananas before they are ready to go to trash. So I did it and guess what both hubby and daughter likedit. My daughter even said she would like to have same again in the lunch box today, Wow you r great. Thanks so much for this recipe. Oh and Happy Dasara.