Sunday

Pepper Medley-Mix of Red, Yellow and Orange Peppers stir fried with chick peas flour.

Hello Dearies!! I am back again with a favorite at my home.There are some veggies that my kids actually wait for me to cook.  With all the festivities associated with Ganpati and all the sweet that we have been eating, I made this spicy and tangy subji for  a quick dinner. I know using peppers can go in any way, it is one of the veggie that you either like or dislike. But it is the most flexible veggie I have known after Potato. I use peppers on a pizza, noodles, pasta, subji or grilled. My grocery list seems unchangeable and few veggies are  a must have on the list. This is because at time, I send Mr. Ash for grocery shopping and if he knows what he has to shop it is easy for poor Ash during the week with less food fights and grumpiness at the dinner table. I just have to keep changing the tastes and styles of cooking the veggies. I have observed that simply by changing the way you chop the veggies, you can actually make a  lot of difference in the taste and texture of the dish. I have been making peeth perun bhaji with spring onions, and it is well accepted  by all. So, I tried making the same with peppers but changed the way I chopped the peppers. Instead of dicing them, I cut them lengthwise into ribbons. Result, I needed less of besan to make the subji which is always good and easy on our tummies.


You will need;
3 Peppers, any color or single color, I took one each of red, yellow and orange peppers.
3 tbspn besan/chickpea flour

Tempering;
2 tbspn Oil
1 tspn mustard/rai seeds
1/2 tspn Cumin/jeera
1/2 tspn carrom/ajwain seeds
1tspn Turmeric
1 pinch hing/aesofodita
Salt to taste
Sugar a pinch, Optional

In a wok, heat the oil till hot, then add the mustard seeds, let them splutter then add the jeera, ajwain and let that sizzle for one second, then add the turmeric, hing and the chopped peppers, cover and let it sweat the water out, reduce the heat to low. Add in the salt, sugar and let it sweat a bit. You will need to add a bit more salt than regular as we will be adding besan. Once the salt is incorporated and the peppers are wilted well, add in the besan spoon by spoon. The quantity of the besan will depend on how much water the peppers have given out. Adding spoon by spoon helps in judging how much flour would be needed. Once the mixture looks wet and the peppers get covered with the flour, stir it well and cover and let cook for 5 minutes, on low heat. After 5 mins, stir once and see if the flour is cooked, if not let it cook covered for anr 2 minutes. The subji will stick to the pan, use more oil if needed, or use non stick pan to cook. I like the burnt scrapping so I let it stick before scrapping it into a serving bowl. The peeth perun bhaji is ready for your loved ones.


Photobucket

6 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

lovely flavours looks delicious

Ezcookbook said...

colorful meldey fry....

Inviting to join Ongoing Events
Let's Party - Prasadam Special
Taste Of Tropics - Authentic Indian Platter

Priya Suresh said...

Excellent side dish, love to ahve with rotis.

Manasi said...

I like peeth perleli simla mirchi!
It is such an easy side to make, not to mention tasty!
I love the colors here:)

Blackswan said...

Hey Ash, that's such a colourful dish! Peppers are so rich in vitamins & it certainly packs a punch when u mix them all together!

runnergirlinthekitchen.blogspot.com said...

Peeth perun rangi be rangi shimla micrh :)) ekdam mast!