Friday

Bhajani Chakali-Maharahstrian Favourite snack.-Back to roots.


Hello Dearies!! This is an old repeated item that I made sometime back, but back then I was an amateur blogger, not that I am any different today, still the pictures are getting better, as I age into Blogging years. I am not giving links to the old post as they are really not noteworthy. 

I am thankful to all my well wishers who ping me, buzz me to suggest that I make few design changes and  refresh my page with fonts and new pictures; I appreciate all your inputs and suggestions, but I am not that techie, or just say I am technology handicapped. 

Mr. Ash got me a smart phone last summer, lets just say I am still learning to use it smartly. I am learning and trying at a much slower pace that you all want to admit to.

Bhajani Chakli is one snack that makes every maharshtrian go weak in knees. Traditional recipes, chakli machines are passed on as family heirlooms and  not tempered with. I have seen my mom make amazing chakali's since I was young. She enjoyed every step of the chakali making process. I always thought it was so easy, make atta, press in machine and fry.. whats there that's more than that. 

After landing in USA and wanting to try my hand at them, made me realize the whole process of making chakali. This soon became my, " I must try to make chakali at home" obsession.  However expert chakli making needs, the patience that a new bride lacks, the expert eye for the correct temperature of the oil and also the ease with which your wrists move while pressing the chakali's into perfect rounds.

I made them the first time with my dear friend K. We both were learning to make diwali faral on our own and that's when we decided to try our hand at this snack. My moms words were echoing in my ears, NO more than 3 rounds each chakli, I set to make them with K and we had amazing results the first time we made. 

Our Diwali was complete with the most cherished snack of all. The bhajani or the atta/flour is specially made for chakali. I get it with me every time I visit home. My mom makes it in huge  quantities to pack into smaller portions and seals the packs individually. This is moms love I guess. 

The Bhajani recipe is much guarded by my mom, but I am hoping she makes it when I visit her the next time, so I can share it with you guys. Till then make do This Recipe.


You will need;
**Will make about 50 chakali's

2 cups Store brought bhajani Flour
*I used my mommy made  bhajani
2 cups water boiling
2 tsp Red chili powder

1 tspn Haldi/Turmeric
1 tbspn- Sesame seeds
1 Tbspn Butter/Ghee
1 Tbspn Ajwain
1 tsp Jeera
Salt and sugar to taste

Approx 2 cups Oil for frying


In a pot, keep the water for boiling, when it comes to a rapid boil, add the turmeric, chili powder, sesame seeds, jeera, Ajwain, Butter, salt and sugar.. mix well, then add the flour, stir well, cover with a lid and keep aside for 15 mins. 

Once cool, knead the flour mix into a soft dough.. and use the Chakli making machine to form nice circles of abt 1-2 inch....Never more than 3 rounds as my moms says;
Heat oil in a deep Kadhai/wok, and fry these circles on medium heat. Note that the oil should be hot not smoking hot...The chakalis need to be cooked well and crispy, having the oil smoking hot will burn the chakalis and not give them a nice crunch.

I am happy to rush this to Manasi aka Cook@ Heart who is hosting a CupoNation giveaway on her space. So if you don't yet follow her like a puppy, do so now and enter yourself to the cool giveaway she is hosting.

I am also sending this to Preeti's event. Hope you all will also join in and say No to Plagiarism.


Photobucket

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

For lack of knowing what bhajani flour is, what is a good substitute? Been wanting a good chakli recipe for a while now. Thanks so much. Your recipes are so inspiring.

Unknown said...

HI Anonymous;
Firstly Thanks for the comment and liking my recipes. Just helps to know your name too, instead of addressing you as Anonymous...Also I have tried using wheat flour our regular wheat flour, but the process is difficult, tie in a cotton cloth and keep it in a dry vessel in one of cooker containers when u make dal rice and pressure cook. I had tried it only once, but it worked. Use it like regular bhajani and add the spices and other taste ingredients and make chakali like you would. But After that I kind of always and the bhajani and we get it in Indian grocery stores here in NJ. Thanks again for reading my work.
Love Ash.

Panfusine said...

LOVE it.. Do you use one of the heirloom chakli presses? they're the best!

Daisy S. said...

Thanks, Ash. I "know" you from KKKMKT. Sorry it gave me choices, but I chose anonymous. Wish I could lay my hands on that bhajani flour. I live in LA area, and have great grocery stores. Any particular brand? Thanks so much.

Unknown said...

they look super delicious!...very tempting when they are shaped so! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks all for the nice words.
@Niv, I have my moms chakali press, the brass one, she passed me her trusted when she got a new one, she is an expert, needs no help from gadgets
@ Smitha, thanks dear.
@ Daisy, Feels so nice to see you commenting here. KKKMKT is like second home where I watch everyone make so much and feel the need to do more. I have seen KEPRA brand bhajani here. I tried it once, but had to tone down my usual masala while using that brand.
Love Ash.

Manasi said...

Thank you so much Ash! This is fantastic!
I love love love chaklis and can have some every day, specially with tea! Yum!